Session times are listed in Central Standard Time (CDT)
Thursday, November 5
09:20 AM - 09:30 AMIntroduction
09:30 AM - 10:30 AMGeneral Session: Hot-Button Federal Tax Issues for Nonprofits Jeffrey Tenenbaum, Managing Partner, Tenenbaum Law Group PLLC
- What are the most common and recurring UBIT pitfalls for nonprofits - and what are the best strategies for minimizing UBIT while maximizing revenues?
- What are best practices and trends in nonprofit executive compensation?
- Nonprofit and for-profit affiliates and subsidiaries - everything you need to know to protect the separate corporate and tax status of each member of the family
- Private inurement and private benefit - what’s the difference between them, what are the leading pitfalls, and what are practical solutions for mitigating tax risk?
10:30 AM - 10:45 AMBreak
10:45 AM - 11:45 AMBreakout Sessions#101Fraud Risks are EVERYWHERE Kenneth Dieffenbach, Special Agent in Charge, U.S. Department of Justice OIG
Intermediate#102Imagineering an Organization-Wide Conflict of Interest & Commitment Disclosure Process Robert Gottesman, Exec. Dir. Institutional Compliance & Privacy, Auburn University Kevin Robinson, Associate Vice President, Audit, Compliance & Privacy, Auburn University
- The three primary fraud risks for every nonprofit regardless of funding sources
- Emerging fraud and compliance topics in federal grant funding
- What nonprofits can do to mitigate the risks
- Readiness: Understand the legal impetus, culture, and administrative will, leading to creation of our disclosure procedure, including considerations on drafting policy, crafting a questionnaire, and selecting delivery method
- Roll-out: Prepare for the disclosure process including beta testing, messaging/marketing to employees, and developing resources. Hear lessons learned, surprising response rates, and how we dealt with the unexpected
- Review: Learn how we devised an efficient and consistent approach to review thousands of responses. Having template management plans available and determining when they are needed. How and when to communicate with respondents and other campus partners
11:45 AM - 12:00 PMBreak
12:00 PM - 01:00 PMBreakout Sessions#201Complying with Fundraising Legal Requirements - An Overview Kristalyn Loson, Associate General Counsel, The Nature Conservancy Daniel Sotelino, Senior Attorney, The Nature Conservancy
Intermediate#202Tricks and Triggers of Form 990 Compliance Rebekuh Eley, Senior Manager, Exempt Organizations, RSM US LLP
- Understand charitable registration responsibilities in different scenarios including when is the charity required to register, what does registration entail, and what types of fundraising relationships need to be reported to state regulators
- Know the legal considerations when working with for-profit entities to promote the mission of the charity
- Learn strategies of how to keep track of regulatory responsibilities in multi-state (or even multi-national) fundraising initiatives as well as key steps if a charity is found to be out of compliance
- Identify the common errors in filling out the Form 990.
- Understand how the disclosures on the Form 990 integrate into the IRS Priority Guidance Plan and analytical approach to the IRS examination selection process.
- Provide the resources to assess the compliance with your own organization’s 990 and other tax laws.
01:00 PM - 01:15 PMBreak
01:15 PM - 02:15 PMGeneral Session: Hot Topics in Privacy Law - 2020 Michelle Cohen, Member, Ifrah PLLC
- Review important federal and state laws and recent actions and developments relating to privacy and data breach laws
- Review and update privacy policies and procedures
- Lessons learned from a data breach case involving nonprofit organizations
- Implement best practices in privacy
02:15 PM - 02:30 PMMain Conference Ends
02:30 PM - 03:30 PMOptional/Bonus Session: Understanding the Basics of Compliance and Ethics Programs Gerard Zack, CEO, SCCE & HCCA
- Learn the background to and benefits of implementing a comprehensive compliance and ethics program in a nonprofit organization
- Understand what comprises each of the key elements of an effective compliance and ethics program
- Apply elements of a program to specific compliance risks faced by nonprofit organizations